These days, most people prefer to buy a divan bed; they’re generally more comfy, robust and they stand the test of time. A divan bed is with no footboard or headboard but a solid base on which your premium quality mattress sits. Now, at GAFF we’re all about fluid interiors and affordable pieces that can come and go with your mood, but a mattress? That’s not one of them. This is one that you absolutely should save up for, given how many hours of your life you’re going to spend lying on it. A good divan base can also come custom made with drawers meaning you’re getting an extra bit of bang for your buck. So when you’ve got the bed – oh, another tip, don’t buy these online, try them out in person – it’s time to consider your styling.
The minimalist trend allows for no headboard at all, if that’s what you’re into, but even if a paired back look is the name of the day, a headboard can simply make your room look ‘finished’. What’s worth bearing in mind, however, is that the style of headboard you go for will heavily impact on the rest of your room. So for example, if you opt for something velvet and quilted/tufted (where it has the little dot buttons), your room, in general, will have a more luxe aesthetic. If you go wooden and ‘reclaimed’ your room will feel far more bohemian. So first, decide on the style you like, then explore our pick of headboards.
1. Your headboard needn’t serve the traditional headboard purpose; it can merely be a piece of styling for your wall that helps to frame your room. We love this reclaimed geometric piece from Etsy.
2. An iron headboard is also super chic and minimal and lends itself to plenty of interior styles. However, if space is limited, go for a decal that looks like an iron headboard but is really just a sticker. Genius. Etsy. Decals are a particularly good idea if you feel like experimenting with colour or patterns without having to invest too much money into a purchase.
3. This one’s handy because it’s got extra storage and a display space on top. Ikea.
4. This headboard from Harvey Norman comes in 9 colours – some of which are leather – and adds the perfect touch of luxe to any room.
5. If you’re choosing a fabric that isn’t leather or something that you can easily wipe clean, veer away from whites and creams. It will just look dirty what with the inevitable dust and they’re harder to clean. Either go for something you can wipe or, how do we put this, something that blends in with a bit of wear and tear. Thankfully, grey is also staying put as the colour to beat. This studded option from DFS looks like something you’d find in a luxury hotel.
6. Remember, you can always opt to have a headboard custom made to suit your style and the size of your bed/room. We love this reclaimed wood headboard that you could have as tall as you wish. Notonthehighstreet.com
Browse our Pinterest gallery above for more inspiration.